Love Abington - Coronavirus in Abington - latest news
Thursday, 5 November 2020
Sadly, many village events are being cancelled or suspended, including the Abington Lunch and Forget-me-Not Club.
Worse, there are reports of rogues taking advantage of people, with this warning from the police:
Coronavirus-Related Fraud Reports Increase by 400 Per Cent In March
Notable local services being suspended or changed include:
Parish Nurse: Claire Gillett has resigned and a replacement has been appointed and will start soon
- Abington churches are closed but If you'd like to receive a regular copy of their email newsletter please contact Jeanine (see above)
- The Archbishop of Canterbury has launched a new dial-in service
- Guidance about Coronavirus 'Track & Trace'
- Granta Medical Practices have updated information. For latest information, see this update on their website.
- Prescriptions for Abington are now back to normal for collection and delivery in the village shop.
- South Cambs district council has updated its announcement about services affected by the pandemic.
- The county council has re-opened household recycling centres including Thriplow - with various limits and precautions to ensure social distancing
Some, including Thriplow, have a booking system to cut waiting and assist with distancing
- County Libraries, are operating a restricted service until further notice.
- However, a small village library has been set up in the Abington Social Club, with a 'branch' just outside Little Abington churchyard - please see poster
- Bus services have changed periodically - the number 13 to town and back and also the Park & Ride buses
- The Apiary Gym on Granta Park was open but has now closed again duting the lock-down - members will not be charged during the closure.
- The Recreation Ground Committee has been closing equipment in line with government guidelines, which have changed regularly.
Currently the Play Area is open but the Gym equipment and MUGA (Multi-use Games Area) are closed.
Warning signs are in place. Please observe the 2-metre distance rules on the whole ground and wash your hands when you get back home.
- Little and Great Abington Parish Councils are holding teleconference meetings instead of using the Institute - please contact the clerk by email or phone for details if you wish to participate
- Local elections scheduled on 7 May will be postponed until May 2021
- The 2020 Abington 10K and Fun Run has been cancelled
- RSPB nature reserves are now reopening and the Magog Down car park has re-opened
However, the community and local traders are taking action to help those who need help or might feel isolated, notably:
- Support during the outbreak - LOVE ABINGTON (see poster above or Facebook)
You can ask for help or volunteer to help
Abington Foodbank - see poster and June update
- Abington Stores now offer online ordering and are happy to deliver
- Local businesses are listed in this directory, with details of what they offer, payment and contact information etc.
- The main supermarkets have special arrangements at this time
- Jigsaw Bakery now has online ordering but is very busy already! Collection at the shop / Delivery in Linton
- Plumbs Dairy delivers milk in traditional glass or plastic bottles - and also other items such as bakery and fruit juice
- The Three Tuns can deliver Thai food (and beer / wine) to people who are self-isolating. It opened the 'Hatch' for off-sales including food.
The restaurant re-opened the restaurant with new arrangements from 4 July but has closed for the lockdown. Booking is strongly recommended for food!
- Local grower Adrian Izzard advises that Wild Country Organics now have online ordering for bags of their organic vegetables for delivery on Thursdays to the Cambridge area.
- There’s a local (Copley Hill) company that will deliver drugs free to your home? They are at www.pillsorted.com or on 01223 643550
- An alternative online drug supplier is https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/
- Latest Government advice and instructions
- Connecting Cambridgeshire has details of deals from phone network providers
- ASTHMA uk - ‘self-isolating’ and ‘social distancing’
- Boots - Coronavirus (COVID-19) – information
- NHS - Coronavirus - including handwashing guidance
- The World Health Organisation has a huge amount of information
- South Cambs District Council - advice for communities and particularly for local businesses, and Coordination Hub for those needing help
- M&S - advice on freezing
Last updated on 09 March 2021.