The objectives of Abington Naturewatch are:
- To monitor and record the wildlife (fauna & flora) within the borders of the Abingtons;
- To encourage protection of our wildlife, maintain its quality and foster its diversity;
- To promote awareness of the richness, potential and problems of the natural environment of the Abingtons;
- To cooperate in improving access to the local natural environment for the benefit of all Abington villagers.
The organisation is informal and communication is by email if possible; members are notified of events from time to time. Contact details are maintained by a small "project team". There is currently no membership fee as costs are covered by voluntary contributions at events.
Members are encouraged to report notable sightings of flora and fauna within the Abingtons to the appropriate sector coordinator and an illustrated record is published annually. A map of the area covered, with some features noted, is available here.
We also have a small group known as Abington RiverCare, a member of the national RiverCare organisation http://www.rivercare.org.uk/. The group has two main interests: looking after the ‘home’ stretch of the River Granta and surveying its flora and fauna. Each year, we run a few sampling sessions to check what is living in our river.
For more information or to join, please contact:
- David Farrant on (01223) 892871 or
- Peter Brunning via email: email@example.com
- CPERC is the Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Environmental Records Centre. We have contributed to their records for declining native species and invasive foreign species. This leaflet lists the relevant species. When we send reports to them, we need the species name, date and place (6 digit grid reference) where it was seen.
For more information, please refer to their website www.cperc.org.uk. You may also submit records online on this website.
- The Wildlife Trust for Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire - see http://www.wildlifebcn.org/.
- Bird species noted in the Abingtons - click
- "What's that bird?" notes by Andy M: Warblers, Buntings, Pipits, Larks, Finches
- "Flora Abingtonia 2008" - flowers recorded in Abington, up to 2008, compiled by Pat Daunt
- "River Sampling 2006-2011" - consolidated record of species noted in the River Granta during the first 6 years of operation of Abington Naturewatch